Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Friday, June 3, 2016

Small Things, Cheap Things: Fridays' Finds 6/3/16

For who has despised the day of small things?
Zechariah 4:10

That's an intriguing verse of scripture, isn't it? It came to mind today when I was vaguely planning this post. I'm going to have to investigate and study it a bit later to satisfy my curiosity!

But meanwhile, I'm going to showcase some "small things" I've picked up recently, little goodies that cost me less than a dollar apiece. Sheer trash, in other words! 


Okay, from left to right...

First, a figural owl metal pierced earring holder from the 1970s. I don't even have pierced ears but I enjoy having these around. In fact, I already have one like this, so I'll probably sell one. They look nice in a group, and if you find a shabby-looking one, you can have fun spray painting it to spruce it up.

This is one I posted about some time ago; you can read the article here and see some "before" photos:
 http://sheertrashroadshow.blogspot.com/2014/03/the-lord-is-good-to-soul-that-seeketh.html
These are a few I have in my living room, and further below is a collection I have listed on Etsy right now.





SheerTrashRoadshow.etsy.com


The next item is something I've never seen before--a pair of Size 8 Boye 6 1/2" plastic knitting needles--no larger than a crochet hook. I bought them because I think they'll be perfect for teaching my granddaughters to knit some day because they're perfectly sized for a child's small hands. In fact, I'm wondering if that's what these were designed for in the first place? I love the look of plastic needles, but can't say I really prefer them for actual use, but these sure are cute. I paid 39 cents for them.

Now take a look at the peach lustre ware cup and saucer pair by Fire King. I think it's a demitasse cup, but again, I took one look at it and thought, "Little girl!" This will be a delightful cup to bring out for "wee cuppa" when one of my granddaughters is visiting. I've done some price checking and these aren't really very expensive or difficult to obtain; I see them priced for about $5.95 or so apiece on Etsy and eBay. But they're so pretty! And I paid only 50 cents for mine so I'll be pleased to keep it.

Here's a nice set at a fabulous price--the style differs from mine, but it's the same manufacturer and era:

$10.99 for this entire set from InMyTrunk.etsy.com!

Okay, now for a truly tacky find, some lime green guest soaps in their original package. I couldn't resist--well, I didn't try very hard, I'll admit. I love this kind of stuff! Isn't it fun? I love the lime green, and the wonderful tacky plastic flower in the center. I paid 69 cents for this cheap thrill, which will be on display in my bathroom until I either get tired of it or break down and use up the soap.


Here are some similar sets on Etsy; this one comes with an actual soap dish:

www.etsy.com/listing/293766775/flowerd-guest-soap
$8.95 from SomethingUniqueRITY.etsy.com








This one's fun with its citrus color combo!

www.etsy.com/listing/81201162/1970s-era-orange-yellow-green-box-of
$9.99 from rivertownvintage.etsy.com



Last of all for this week, I have this charming plastic cake topper of Disney's Cinderella. At least, I think she's a cake topper. She stands 5 1/2" tall and was made in Hong Kong. She's pretty sturdy, too. Maybe this wasn't a cake topper, but one of those little figures that came with a girl's wrist watch. Those were pretty popular for gifts back in the 1960s. I have some old Wilton cake decorating magazines; I'll have to dig through them and see if I can verify that's what this was. 

Meanwhile, I found another one on Etsy; this one's really pretty with her vivid blue color. (Mine is much lighter.) This seller also identifies her as a cake topper. 




Vintage Disney Cinderella Cake Topper, Hard Plastic Made in Hong Kong
www.etsy.com/listing/286945237/vintage-disney-cinderella-cake-topper
$5.00 from TheVintageTabby.etsy.com


Okay, I really better sign off for now. My "staff" is beginning to look at me reproachfully since their dinner is late. 

This is what I love about junking, though. You can go out with $5 in your pocket, come home after a fun afternoon of searching, nab a handful of items you love, and still have change left over!

Pop in over at the facebook page if you can; this week I've been sharing lots of intriguing mid-century bathroom items and advertisements and I'd love to see your photos, too!













No comments :

Post a Comment