Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Wednesday, August 15, 2018

How I Spent My Etsy Vacation



Yes, I'm aware there's an elephant in the room, which I am assiduously trying to avoid addressing, but I'll just say this and move on: Yes, it's been a jolly long while since I posted anything on the blog. No excuses, per se. I just couldn't think of anything I might have to say that anyone would be interested in reading. And I have been harassed and harried for time, which is pretty much a perpetual state of affairs around here, even when I take a break and try to regain my tenuous hold on sanity.

So, moving right along...

I took six months off from Etsy selling so thought I'd share a bit of how I spent the break. The most notable thing I did was that I bought myself a new sewing machine with a few more bells and whistles and made stuff. It was thoroughly satisfying--actually making things instead of merely selling things.


This frothy little charmer was made of vintage flocked sheer fabric, using a vintage pattern.





These play outfits were also sewn from vintage patterns, and some vintage plus some new "vintage look" fabric.

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, hat and child

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and outdoor

I did some experimenting, too. A favorite jersey-knit shirt was irreparably stained, so I took it apart at the seams and used the pieces to fashion a pattern of my own, tweaking it a bit to improve its design. And with leftover fabric and my new gathering-foot gizmo, I made a matching fabric brooch.



I did some playing around with a jellyroll purse pattern, which was rather fun. Wish I could remember the designer I bought it from so I could give credit!





I made some ditzy living room curtains from some aging atomic era fiberglas drapes that had some holes and snags in them.


And I embroidered a poodle on a t-shirt, using a vintage Vogart iron-on transfer.

No automatic alt text available.

A couple of vintage Vera linen napkins being ignored in a drawer became some snazzy throw pillows.

Image may contain: indoor

And I had an absolute blast sewing men's boxer shorts for various family members. They were so much fun to sew! These I will not be showing you; a decision I'm sure you will appreciate. There is, after all, such a thing as too much information.



No comments :

Post a Comment