Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Home Again

For those of you who are following Peppy's situation, a quick report on his first day post-surgery:

Peppy was certainly glad to see me when I arrived at the vet this morning to pick him up. I admit to a bit of shock when I saw his legs--I'm not sure what I was expecting.  Bandages, maybe. But there hung down two shaven, stitched, limp back legs. He isn't using them at all yet, though he sits a bit.

His right leg (which was level 4) took the worst of it. The vet told me his kneecap had permanently lodged on the side of his knee and it did not want to move back into its proper place. I'm glad now I went ahead and had this done. I can only imagine how severe the situation would have become if I had waited longer.

Okay...How Pep is doing:  Pep is resting in a playpen by my computer, except when I have had him outside today to attempt to "go" and when he was resting on a folded towel in the shade as I did some weeding. His appetite is as good as ever--he gets positively alert when he sees anyone eating anything--but the rest of the time, he's lying down sleeping or just being still.  I have been putting cold packs, wrapped in dry flannel, on his knees.  I have instructions to gently flex and extend his knees 2-5 minutes each, 2 to 3 times daily. The vet says he won't likely try to use his legs for a couple more days, and if he isn't managing to do so by Friday or Saturday to call him for advice. We have instructions to take Peppy back for a recheck in two weeks.

Here's Pep in his two modes, restful, and "I see food":


Wickham is sure Peppy is having all kinds of fun and treats in the playpen and has been gazing in enviously.  Well, Peppy did have a "pizzle stick" when he first got home, so that partly accounts for it.

I envision myself doing lots of crocheting or other portable handwork in the next several days, because I don't feel comfortable leaving Peppy alone any more than is necessary. Maybe I can load lots of new items into my Etsy shops.

Okay, I need comic relief.  So do you, I imagine!


Here are some bloopers I have come across online in the last couple of days that made me chuckle:

"...the parents' pain was palatable..."  (palpable, I presume!)

"I decided to give my mother a plague for Mother's Day."  (Bubonic?  Smallpox?)

And here's an oldie but goodie that had me in near hysterics in church a while back.  It was under a column listing useful things to do with coffee filters:

"Cover bowels with filters when microwaving." (Perhaps they protect vital organs from radiation!)

If you're reading this and one of these bloopers was yours, please don't be offended, but take satisfaction that you provided me with much-appreciated humor on a day when I really needed it!
Thanks!


2 comments :

  1. Aw, Peppy still looks good though for just getting out of surgery! Best wishes and love coming your way! <333

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find the best mistakes on the back of tea that I get at the health food store.

    ReplyDelete