Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Today's [Olympic] Game Face and Some Thoughts About Ski Wear



What's the 2014 USA Olympian wearing during these winter games? Unfortunately, it's this:

http://media.independentmail.com/media/img/photos/2014/01/23/US_Uniforms-Ralph_Lau_Dunl_t607.jpg

Ralph Lauren must have drunk way too many espressos while suffering a concussion when he designed this. What a waste of that highly-touted produced-in-Oregon organic wool! Oh, well, it's nice to know I won't be the only frump associated with the 22nd Olympiad (even though it's only from the comfort of my couch).

But ugly winter needlework garments have been around for a long time. I highlighted several garish and unpractical designs a few posts back, but in honor of the Olympics, I bring you yet more of The Best of the Worst in winter wear, vintage-style!

For sheer ridiculous ugliness, it's tough to beat the seventies. Here we have a bulky crocheted poncho, scarf, and gaucho pant outfit designed, apparently, by the Great Pumpkin.


 For those who prefer to knit, here's a pattern for a "knickered jumpsuit" for a "rainbow of fashion fun". Seriously. That atrocity on the right is a zippered one-piece knicker-length jumpsuit! Wonder if it has a button flap in back? The pink color-block sweater is lively, at least. Kind of reminds me of the massive Frankensteinian shoulder pad ones that were popular in the eighties--another horrid fashion era. (Think "big hair" if you need a reminder.)



Knickers must really have been the thing in 1970-71. Here are some more examples from the same McCall's Needlework and Crafts magazine, plus ghastly knitted pants in marigold yellow.



This issue also featured a twist on the traditional poncho. These peculiar hybrids are called "poncho-pulls". Hers isn't too horrible, but the guy looks like a yeti with manhood issues in his.



It's interesting to see how ski-wear has changed over the decades. Take a look at the great Jean Claude Killy in his heydey. Does this guy exude class or what?!

http://vintageskistyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/jean-claude-killy.jpg
http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4691647458378443&pid=1.7

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/olympics/images/attachement/jpg/site1/20070726/001aa018ff9c0812e6ac3c.jpg



Of course, the skiers were probably half-frozen in those days and I imagine there were quite a few tragic head injuries since not many of them were wearing helmets. Still, one has to admire their style! No spandex Spiderman outfits.

I remember when stretchy ski pants became popular in the 1960s. They had attached stirrups that went under your instep. I loved mine! And I had a nifty pink quilted nylon parka to go with  it. I was just a kid and had never even seen an actual ski slope, but I wore them happily just the same. 

This was how the trendy skier dressed circa 1966, or at least how they looked in magazines and in movies back then:



Classic Scandinavian...  And a bit later, were designs like this one, featured on the cover of the 1969-70 winter issue:

Again, very Nordic. Notice that it looks less dated than the seventies stuff, though predating those, as they were designed along traditional lines. Her pants, I assume, were meant for wearing "apres-ski", while sipping cognac by a cozy log fire. Otherwise they'd flap a lot flying down the slopes. At least they don't make her look like she needs to sign up for Medi-Fast, like this charming "crocheted poncho and pants" ensemble made from Aunt Lydia's heavy rayon and cotton rug yarn (I do not jest!):




~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Okay, you've plowed through all this blather and I know what you're really wanting to view--this morning's [Olympic] game face. Actually today I'm not doing too badly, despite the late night viewing, because I slept like a rock, I've had coffee, and church is canceled due to the weather so I have the pleasant prospect of a crash-and-burn nap before lunch. But here it is, as promised:

There! Are you happy now?
 

No comments :

Post a Comment