Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Sunday Childhood Memories


Growing up, my memory is of Sunday mornings is waking up to Mendelssohn's Italian Symphony playing on the stereo. And if it wasn't the Italian Symphony, it was The Moldau by Smetena.




My mother loved symphonic music, and would stack the record player with our old Reader's Digest Festival of Light Classical Music 33 LP's (those are the large flat black disks with the hole in the middle, for those of you who grew up in the CD/MP3 era. The small saucer sized disks were 45's, which were "singles" and pretty much kid/teenager stuff!)
Festival of Light Classical Music 1960s RCA LP Record Box Set Readers Digest Rare Antique Record Set
www.etsy.com/listing/233109230/festival-of-light-classical-music-1960s
For variety, she would include selections from Music from the World's Great Composers, another Reader's Digest collection.


http://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-Complete-Set-12-LP-Music-Of-The-Worlds-Great-Composers-Readers-Digest-/321779247969

I still have our battered old collections, mostly unplayable at this point, but still fun to bring out now and again to mystify and fascinate young visitors with how I grew up "in the olden days", as I'm sure they think of it. Listening to those scratchy old recordings I'm not surprised they think I date back to the ark!

I also get sadistic fun out of allowing them to attempt to call home on my classic aqua rotary dial telephone. Suddenly I don't seem quite so absurd to them anymore when they see me struggle to operate a cell phone!

Anyway, I just thought you might enjoy some great music this Sunday.

By way of a postscript, I encourage you to look at yesterday's entry: 
 

I shared some photos of terrific vintage game pieces I acquired at a garage sale, asking if anyone could identify them. I got a most obliging reply from Caruso of KentuckyTrader found a link with photographs, nailing the name of the game as Aviation: The Aerial Tactics Game of Attack and Defense:

Aviation
 http://airminded.org/2007/08/05/war-games/

The version above came out in 1920, but as my version has some World War II vehicles/planes in it, I believe it's from a later edition that came out during the 1930's-1950's. At any rate, it's very cool getting this info and I want to thank Caruso for his first-rate help!

Here are some of my favorite goodies from his shop:

 


Mid Century Modern Atomic Age - Regal Bright Orange 10-30 cup Electric Poly-urn Coffee Percolator
www.etsy.com/listing/232151229/mid-century-modern-atomic-age-regal
(I have one of these coffee maker models myself and I can vouch for how well it performs. This is a great deal!! An absolute essential for a coffee-hound household such as mine.)


Vintage Children's Book,  True Adventure In Space Moon Trip,  First Printing August 1959, c1958
www.etsy.com/listing/120416524/vintage-childrens-book-true-adventure-in

I love vintage kids' books, especially this type, which I remember the thrill of buying annually during grade school Scholastic Books sales promotions.



Vintage 6 Transistor Radio Westinghouse - With Leather Case - Green to Avocado Green Color
www.etsy.com/listing/236732716/vintage-6-transistor-radio-westinghouse


My husband has a nice collection of vintage transistor radios, so this is right up my alley.


Vintage Jeopardy Game Milton Bradley 4457 Complete, c.1964
www.etsy.com/listing/224080698/vintage-jeopardy-game-milton-bradley


Jeopardy! Back before they changed the rules about winning and it was way more exciting...


Sawyer's View Master Junior Projector with working bulb. Beautiful Two Tone
www.etsy.com/listing/121182092/sawyers-view-master-junior-projector

I remember finding one of these when my kids were little. We'd show them Viewmaster slide shows on Christmas Eve with it. Not sure what ever happened to it. Pity, because it was pretty cool!

Kentucky Trader  has 27 pages of great vintage merchandise (that's more than double MelmacParadise!) and the prices are very reasonable, too. Stop by and click some favorites!




No comments :

Post a Comment