Let us put by some hour of every day for holy things...

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails.
I will believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil, worketh good for me.
And though I weep because those sails are tattered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered:
I trust in Thee.
--Ann Kimmel

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines, the labor of the olive shall fail and the fields shall yield no meat, the flock shall be cut off from the fold and there shall be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

Saturday, February 8, 2020

UFO Alert!

Yeah, it's me again, come up for air!

I know it's been a donkey's age since I've posted, and even longer since I posted with remote regularity, but at my pay rate (zilch) you take what you get! 

However, I'm feeling inspired, and think this blog may just become a "thing" again. 

That's because I've been on a roll with the projects since closing up the Etsy shop. You see, my new year's resolution was to tackle all those "UFO's" (UnFinished Objects) stacked and neglected in my sewing room and in my yarn closet. Posting my successes is my way of staying on track and and motivating me to continue.

So, as Miranda Hart would say, "On with the show!"  

Previously in my life... (Okay, it was January:)

...I figured out how to make buttonholes with my new sewing machine and finished up this very vintage (1950's?) little girl dress which I bought in its partially constructed state for a few bucks last summer:




Sweet vintage print, huh? Wonder what the lady for whom this dress was originally intended looks like today?

I also got around to mending some vintage wool "49'er" jackets (one a Pendleton, one a lookalike) which had been languishing, unwearable for months, until I took pity on them: 

...as well as, replacing the mismatched and missing buttons on this 60's/70's double-knit jacket with its delicious silver lurex threads. I shall look forward to summer when I can wear this again , open fashion, over my t-shirts:


After that I changed gears from sewing to knitting, and got this pair of socks off the needles and grafted the toes. They've been waiting about a year. So far, winter's been more wet than cold here so I probably won't need them until next year, but it felt good to free up the needles and mark another task off my list:


During the last week of January I moved from the practical to the whimsical, and forced myself to finish up some miniature faux poodle cozies. If you've read previous blog posts you know poodle cozies are rather a "thing" with me, but these are little doll-sized models, inspired by my increasingly-famous doll-collecting daughter, Madeline, of "All My Plastic Children" and "Travels with Barbie" instagram renown. I had made her one for her Barbie doll house, and she suggested I make others to sell to her serious collector friends. 

It was a very fiddly and frustrating project and I don't look forward to doing this again any time soon. It necessitated making my own teeny-tiny pompoms and using the finest of crochet hooks and, all-in-all, involved a lot of snarling and gnashing of teeth. So I'm not selling them cheap, but if you're desperate for a truly kitsch accessory for your collection, let me know. The pink one is $35 with free shipping, and the yellow and turquoise ones are priced at $30 each with free shipping. (Stop laughing!!!)




That wraps up January.

My first week in February has also been productive,  but I'll post that update later. There's an estate sale I need to hit!

Thanks for looking me up again after all this time. I appreciate it.

Now go out and accomplish something, then tell the rest of us about it!


No comments :

Post a Comment